Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Why not buy everything online?




Today I spent about 1 and 1/2 hours running around trying to find Christmas presents only to return home and purchase them online.

Why not buy everything online?

First, I want to make sure I can secure the item before Christmas.

The second reason I don't buy online is because of fraud. I have personally had my credit/debit cards hacked three different times and the thieves have spent over $5000 out of the accounts. Thankfully the money was refunded on each occasion, but I've learned a very valuable lesson.

DON'T USE DEBIT CARDS TO MAKE PURCHASES ON THE INTERNET!

Why, because debit cards don't carry the same protection as credit cards. If a credit card is hacked the credit card company must replace the money within 24 hours, not so with debit cards. The bank has 7 to 10 days to conduct an investigation before unfreezing your account and returning the money!

If you only have a debit card then PayPal is a great alternative if the company you are buying from accepts it. You can purchase without exposing any of your credit card information.

Third, not all sellers on the Internet are trustworthy. I've had some sellers take up to three weeks to get me the goods!

Notwithstanding these problems I usually like to shop online much more than going to the store.

One of the stores didn't have what I wanted so I ended up coming home and purchasing the item on Amazon.com. I am a member of Amazon Prime and will receive the item on Thursday with free delivery!

2 comments:

  1. It depends on how much stuff you buy. It cost $79 per year. I naturally buy alot of stuff for the classes I teach.

    ReplyDelete